Within our consultant led ICU follow up clinic we recognised that there were an increasing number of patients presenting with on-going physical and psychological problems relating to their stay. Many of these patients reported lack of access to longer term rehabilitation and psychological support.
The purpose was to develop a specialist therapy pathway for patients following an intensive care stay; to improve physical and psychological outcomes, and the overall experience and support for patients and families.
Aspects included working towards;
- Specialist Supported discharge home.
- Joint handover of care and on-going support to community teams
- 3 month review in line with NICE guidance.
- Provision of MDT rehab class.
- Capacity to provide hydrotherapy in the future.
- Development of MDT follow up clinics
- Psychology support with specific reference to ICU and critical illness
Beyond – Establishing a Virtual Post ICU Rehabilitation Class
The COVID-19 pandemic forced us to rethink how we could deliver Post ICU support and ensure rehabilitation needs of those leaving ICU were met.
The redeployment of staff during the first wave allowed us to pilot a virtual Post ICU rehabilitation class.